About the project
A programme of railway station improvements to the 16 stations on the Cardiff to Merthyr Tydfil line. Initial designs were undertaken using the Network Rail GRIP process. The stations were then prioritised to suit the budget constraints with the chosen stations separated into two packages of works.
The works at Radyr and Llandaf stations were higher value compared to Package 1 and also featured a trial of a new Metro shelter that has subsequently been taken forward and developed by Transport for Wales.
The works at Radyr and Llandaf stations included:
- Improved Active Travel facilities
- Improvements to achieve Equality Act compliance
- Improvements to safety and security
- Improved waiting rooms/ additional shelters
- Improved interchange facilities with bus service (Merthyr Tydfil)
- Renewed platform furniture (Help Point, Customer Information Screens, benches, cycle shelters)
- Newly constructed state of the art ticket offices
- Significant remodelling of the car parking areas