About the project
A programme of railway station improvements to the 16 stations on the Cardiff to Merthyr Tydfil line. Initial designs were undertaken using the Network Rail GRIP process. The stations were then prioritised to suit the budget constraints with the chosen stations separated into two packages of works.
Package 1 focused on the stations at the north end of the branch, namely; Treforest Estate, Abercynon, Merthyr Vale, Troedyrhiw, Pentre-bach and Merthyr Tydfil.
The works at these stations included:
- Improved Active Travel facilities
- Improvements to achieve Equality Act compliance
- Improvements to safety and security
- Improved waiting rooms/ additional shelters
- Improved interchange facilities with bus service (Merthyr Tydfil)
- Renewed platform furniture (Help Point, Customer Information Screens, benches, cycle shelters)
This first phase was awarded Transportation Project of the Year by the Chartered Institute of Highways and Transportation in Wales.
All of the stations remained open during the improvement works. This necessitated careful planning of the improvement works early in the design stage and a sensitive approach to communicating with the local residents and station users.
ChandlerKBS was appointed for project and cost management services with responsibility for developing the delivery strategy including the contract type; the design, and the construction via a third party route.