Transport for Wales
About the project
The Core Valley Lines (CVL) represents Phase 2 of the South Wales Metro, a £738 million project that will improve connectivity for the 1.5 million people who live and work in the Cardiff Capital Region. The proposed infrastructure improvements will enable improved journey times and increased service frequency on each line of route between Cardiff and Merthyr Tydfil, Aberdare, Treherbert, Rhymney and Coryton.
The infrastructure improvements include:
- Strategic track doubling and passing loops;
- 25kVA Overhead Line Electrification to 172km of track with permanently earthed sections to minimise disruptive work to structures;
- Improvements to all 52 stations within the CVL;
- New stations at Crwys Road, Treforest Estate, Gabalfa, Loundon Square and Cardiff Bay;
- Extension of the Cardiff Bay line;
Development of a new rolling stock depot and network control centre in Taffs Well.