Senior Project Manager (Utilities)
ChandlerKBS provides independent consultancy services across a wide range of sectors throughout the UK, Ireland and mainland Europe. We work with some of the largest private, public and utility sector clients. We take pride in delivering an excellent service.
We are seeking to recruit a Senior Project Manager (5+ years’ experience) to join our Utilities team working on projects across South Wales . The role will be based in our Cardiff office, with a flexible hybrid working approach. Water/Utilities experience is essential.
The role of a Senior Project Manager includes the following responsibilities:
- Provide overall leadership to Project Management team including project and service delivery, processes, development etc.
- Contribute towards bid and tender preparation and business development.
- Assume day-to-day delivery responsibility for projects/programmes of work and demonstrate the ability to take on tasks without supervision.
- Strengthen our service delivery capability and promote knowledge capture, sharing and innovation.
- Provide advice on procurement and contracts.
- Prepare and evaluating tenders, contractor/consultant selection and contract documentation.
- Provide risk and value management, including facilitation of workshops.
- Contract administration for relevant contract provisions, monthly reporting and chairing project meetings.
- Deliver all work outputs in an accurate and timely manner to a high standard of quality.
- Support the implementation of strategic initiatives at service and sector level.
- Manage the delivery of work through proactive involvement where appropriate and through performance management of personnel to ensure work is completed in a timely manner to a high-quality standard.
- Provide leadership to the staff, where required. Resolve conflicts of priorities and personalities relating to work with the appropriate Partner or Associate.
- Mentor and coach team members, ensuring that staff and new starters are developed to support the successful growth of the Practice and development of their career.
- Ensure service delivery is in accordance with the policies and procedures of the Practice, particularly Health & Safety and Quality Assurance.
- Ensure compliance with client’s corporate governance procedures where applicable.
- Achieve all objectives as required by the annual performance review process.
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuing professional development and continuous improvement.
- Communicating effectively with all stakeholders to ensure that all parties are kept informed on all relevant matters impacting and influencing projects.
- Communicating with team members to ensure that they understand and become engaged with the project strategies, briefs and client requirements.
- Developing and managing the Project Programmes and obtaining the buy-in of all stakeholders.
- Driving project performance, service delivery and technical and commercial outcomes and undertaking reviews, ensuring client delivery is above expectation.
The ability to:
- Negotiate, influence and deliver results in a client facing role.
- Deal diplomatically with a wide range of stakeholders in a flexible environment, subject to change.
- Prioritise and self-manage with ability to work in a high-pressure environment.
- Manage conflicting priorities and organise workloads in conjunction with the appropriate Partner.
- Cope with demanding and changing timeframes.
- Lead a team.
- Create a close- knit team as required and motivate and mentor the team to work effectively in a dynamic environment.
- Demonstrate a high degree of integrity.
Qualifications / Skills:
- Ideally degree qualified: construction, cost management, engineering or quantity surveying.
- MAPM/MRICS other equivalent qualification or experience.
- Supporting Project Management Qualifications such as PRINCE2 Practitioner/Certified Project Manager/MSP/Risk Management.
- Leadership development training [example course to be identified].
- Extensive knowledge of construction industry technical matters.
- Extensive experience of industry standard forms of contract, typically JCT and NEC.
- Excellent technical project management skills and provide leadership to others on PM Processes: Risk, Opportunities and Issues Planning/Programming, Change control reporting, Stakeholder management and Communications Value Management.
- Good experience of managing teams and people and strong interpersonal and team building skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with both client and staff.
- Extensive experience of delivering multiple of complex projects and programmes of work through the entire project life cycle.
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Strong analytical skills, sound judgement and an aptitude for forward planning.
- Energetic and motivated with natural drive and an innovative flair, resourcefulness and ability to adapt to change.
- Sound understanding of HS&E legislation including some formal training/qualifications.
- Monitoring developments in project and programme management field – new processes/alternative training/new areas of work – examples such as BIM, Soft Landings and agile Project Management.
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. As well as receiving a competitive salary, you will also have an opportunity to take advantage of our flexible working arrangements. Our core benefits include 24 days annual leave, private health insurance, critical illness cover, car allowance (subject to role), a generous pension scheme, annual professional membership fees and bespoke development plans.
ChandlerKBS is an equal opportunities employer, an accredited Investor in People (IIP) and has an RICS approved APC programme.